Slooow Q6600
Jb
2007-08-21 20:05:55 UTC
Hi everyone,
I have just built a system:
Q6600
Asus P5N-E SLI
OCZ Dual PC6400 mem (1x1Gig)
Gt8500GT Video (512 mem)
NEC DVD/RW
80Gig Maxtor IDE
550Watt PSU

Control panel reports all is well with the hardware, All four cores show and
are running @ 2.4 Ghz

I have flashed to the latest BIOS (0703) collected/installed all the latest
drivers

Everything set to default but it runs like a lame dog. The AMD 3700 it is to
replace runs rings round it in terms of speed, loading etc.

So far the only programs are Win XP Pro SP2 plus all updates. AVG Virus
scanner, SpyBot S&D and MS Office 2003.

Running AVG and Spybot at the same time brings it to a virtual standstill ,
Taskmon show two cores at 100%, two 0%

I have tried disabling speedstep but it seems to make no discernable
difference. What have I missed?

All legal and physically possible suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Jb
RobV
2007-08-24 03:37:14 UTC
Post by Jb
Hi everyone,
[...]
I don't have any advice for you, except that this NG is pretty dead.
The one that most people use is: <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>.
You'll get a better response there.
Jb
Thanks for that
RobV
You're welcome.
RobinG
2008-03-19 10:20:04 UTC
I know that if you Google it you can find the settings but there seems to be
a lot of BIOS settings for the Core2 chips that slows them down unless you
are running at full tilt. On idle or low speed mine used to default to
1.8GHz even the multiplier can be reduce to save wear and tear on the CPU.
We don't care about that, give us full speed ahead and leave those settings
for laptops.

I had a list of all the things to disable in BIOS but as usual when you need
it you cant find it, hahaha.

Robin